At Boys & Girls Clubs of Topeka
"Great Futures Start Here"
"To enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring, responsible citizens"
"We believe every kid has what it takes. The mission and core beliefs of Boys & Girls Clubs fuel our commitment to promoting safe, positive and inclusive environments for all. Boys & Girls Clubs of America supports all youth and teens - of every race, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, ability, socio-economic status, and religion - in reaching their full potential."
Academic Success - Healthy Lifestyles - Good Character & Citizenship
- 38% of Kansas counties are without child care centers (Kansas Action for Children Voter Guide 2020)
- 8.4 million K-12 children (15%) participate in afterschool programs (America After 3 PM, 2009)
- The hours between 3p.m. and 6p.m. are the peak hours for juvenile crime and experimentation with drugs, alcohol, cigarettes and other inappropriate activities (Fight Crime: Invest in Kids, 2003)
- Teens who do not participate in afterschool programs are nearly three times more likely to skip classes than teens who do participate and are also three times more likely to use marijuana or other drugs, and are more likely to drink, smoke and engage in inappropriate activity (YMCA of the USA, 2001)
- Parents miss an average of five days of work per year due to a lack of afterschool care (Catalyst & Brandeis University, 2006)
- 154,871 is the number of Kansas Children under the age of 6 years of age potentially needing care
- 89% of Club youth said they can stand up for what is right!
- 91% of Club youth reported that as a leader, they make sure everyone feels important.
- In 2019, Boys & Girls Clubs of Topeka served over 2,600 Club members
- 52% qualified for free or reduced-price school lunch
- 45% lived in single-parent households
- 88% were ages 12 and younger
- 42% were minority races or ethnicities
- 14 Club site locations in and around Topeka
- 208 adult staff
- 969 volunteers
- 11,126 youth served through Community Outreach
Boys & Girls Clubs of Topeka is chartered by Boys & Girls Clubs of America