At Boys & Girls Clubs of Topeka
"Great Futures Start Here"
"To enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring, responsible citizens"
"We believe every kid has what it takes. The mission and core beliefs of Boys & Girls Clubs fuel our commitment to promoting safe, positive and inclusive environments for all. Boys & Girls Clubs of America supports all youth and teens - of every race, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, ability, socio-economic status, and religion - in reaching their full potential."
Academic Success - Healthy Lifestyles - Good Character & Citizenship
- 16.2 million school age children--more than a quarter of all youth--are alone and unsupervised after school (America After 3 PM, 2009)
- 8.4 million K-12 children (15%) participate in afterschool programs (America After 3 PM, 2009)
- The hours between 3p.m. and 6p.m. are the peak hours for juvenile crime and experimentation with drugs, alcohol, cigarettes and other inappropriate activities (Fight Crime: Invest in Kids, 2003)
- Teens who do not participate in afterschool programs are nearly three times more likely to skip classes than teens who do participate and are also three times more likely to use marijuana or other drugs, and are more likely to drink, smoke and engage in inappropriate activity (YMCA of the USA, 2001)
- Parents miss an average of five days of work per year due to a lack of afterschool care (Catalyst & Brandeis University, 2006)
- In 2017, Boys & Girls Clubs of Topeka served over 2,377 Club members
- 64% qualified for free or reduced-price school lunch
- 56% lived in single-parent households
- 91% were ages 12 and younger
- 43% were minority races or ethnicities
- 14 Club site locations in and around Topeka
- 170 adult staff
- 680 volunteers
- 10,630 youth served through Community Outreach
Boys & Girls Clubs of Topeka is chartered by Boys & Girls Clubs of America